Claude L. Cockerham III Scholarship
The Claude L. Cockerham III Criminal Justice Scholarship was established to enable high school seniors to further their education in order to carry on the work of the criminal justice profession. Mr. Cockerham has dedicated much of his adult life to supporting the efforts of our criminal justice system. He has donated countless hours of service to the Gonzales Police Department as part of his passion for community service. Mr. Cockerham’s father was a WWII veteran, and to honor his service also, the scholarship is structured to acknowledge military service where possible. The desire is that each scholarship recipient embraces the notion that community service as a criminal justice professional can enhance our quality of life where we live and sustain safe communities.
To be eligible for this for this scholarship, applicants must be graduating from East Ascension High School located in Gonzales, Louisiana. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Pursuing a post-secondary education in criminal justice or in the United States Armed Forces,
- At least 17 years of age prior to the award date,
- Earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.0, and
- Participated in ROTC during high school
This scholarship is a one-time award of $500. Applicants who are pursuing criminal justice may use the award to attend an accredited law enforcement class of instruction, educational endeavor or course of study, or to enroll in a particular school, college, university or other higher educational institution for undergraduate studies in the field of criminal justice. Applicants who have joined the United States Armed Forces must use the award for certifications, training, or any post-secondary education.
- Application – which can be found at BRAF.org/cockerham by clicking on the start button
- Previous semester’s academic transcript
- Academic Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from EHS Senior class counselor
- Official proof of enrollment letter from school – a letter or certificate confirming student is enrolled full-time in the semester they are applying for. The letter must be signed or have the school’s official seal. Please note that an invoice, class schedule, registered or pre-registered letter, or any other document will not be accepted.
APPLICATION OPENS: March 12, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 16, 2018
Questions about scholarships?
Contact Scholarship Manager