PAUL F. BROWN SCHOLARSHIP FUND
Mr. Paul F. Brown had a great love for music. He showed his love by supporting local music organizations such as the Baton Rouge Opera, Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra and the LSU School of Music. The purpose of this scholarship, named in his honor, is to support students who have also demonstrated a love for music.
This scholarship is to be awarded to an incoming freshman accepted to the Louisiana State University School of Music as a full-time student. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 or above and be a resident of Louisiana. This scholarship is by invite only. Invitations will be sent by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation.
Each scholarship award is $1,500 per semester (fall and spring only) for a maximum of two consecutive semesters. Scholarship awards shall be used toward tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and other educational expenses such as the purchase of a musical instrument or musical equipment.
- Application - which can be found at BRAF.org/paul-brown by clicking the start button
- Previous semester’s academic transcript
- Academic resume
- Letter of recommendation from a music teacher or someone that can attest to your musical talents, aspirations and/or accomplishments.
- Official proof of enrollment letter from school - a letter or certificate confirming student is enrolled full-time in the semester they are applying for. The letter must be signed or have the school’s official seal. Please note that an invoice, class schedule, registered or pre-registered letter, or any other document will not be accepted.
- Personal Statement: Your personal statement should reflect your demonstrated love of music. Your statement should be approximately 350 – 500 words in length and incorporates the following:
1. What instrument(s) do you play?
2. List your high school musical activities and describe your involvement in each.
3. List your music honors and achievements.
4. What do you consider your most rewarding musical experience?
5. What are your career plans and goals for the future?
6. Please state your reasons for applying for this scholarship.
APPLICATION OPENS: March 1, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 1, 2018
RENEWAL: To maintain the scholarship, each recipient must maintain full-time status as an undergraduate, as defined by Louisiana State University, and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA per semester. Students must provide the Foundation with a transcript and proof of full-time enrollment to receive the second-semester payment.
Questions about scholarships?
Contact Scholarship Manager